Each Wednesday: 10 Weeks During Term
Workshop Time: 4pm-6pm
Age Range: 13-18
Spots Available: 15
Room 209A, Building 6
University of Wollongong
Wollongong NSW 2500
What is Virtual Reality?
Virtual Reality is a booming high tech industry for ‘human-computer interfacing’. Although still at its infancy, we are about to see perhaps the biggest tech evolution since television. We now have the ability to create worlds of our imagination and transport ourselves and others into them.
Virtual Reality has already seen huge benefits to industries like the aeronautical industry over the last decade. Using high end, high-cost simulation systems for training.
But now Virtual Reality has reached a point where it is high quality, low cost and very accessible. Anyone with a smartphone from the last few years can run VR apps on their phone with a $2 headset.
Which gives it a much larger potential than previously
In many industries that do training, especially high-risk training.
– Firefighters. (Imagine training inside a simulated burning building)
– Mining Engineers.
– Emergency Medical Technicians.
In any industry that uses 3D models & graphs
– Architecture (Image standing in the house you designed while you are designing it)
In any industry that does simulations
This technology can potentially apply to any and every industry and reshape how we work.
More than that, Technology can change how we think, feel and express ourselves.
Imagine literally looking through the eyes of someone else. Someone fabricated from another person imagination, with the intent on making you think and feel something different.
10 Weeks program of 2-hour workshops we take you through the basics of building a virtual reality app.
Do not worry if you are an iPhone user, or do not own an Andoird phone. We can put your game on our phone for testing.
Hear from St Joseph’s Catholic High School
- BYO Laptop (minimum): i5 Processor, 4GB RAM, and either Windows 7 or OSX (or later).
- BYO Andoird phone. Preferably 2014 or later. If you don’t have this, do not worry. We can simulate android phones on your laptop and will take turns loading you app onto one of the few Android phones we bring for VR. If you can get one, do it and run your VR app the whole lesson, and at home too!
- It is recommended to have Unity 5 Personal Edition Installed prior to the workshop. Install and setup of Unity 5 can be done free, an hour before class or for those of you proactive; we have provided links below for you to be able to download them now and not have to stress before the workshop.
- Download the Google Cardboard VR tool for Unity. Called Unity Cardboard SDK
- Download and install the Java Development Kit
The following download button is needed for Macintosh Operating Systems:
The follow download button is needed for both Windows and Macs